Every day in this place is like an unending parade of towers!
If you start to list them from Nunne street, that is, from the south, then the display begins with the Nun’s Tower, fol- lowed by the Sauna Tower and the Golden Leg Tower, the Tower behind Nuns, and Loewenschede Tower… then you can take a short breath at the place of the Lippe Tower, where there has been an entrance to the Old Town for decades now. But the proud overview – let us not be bashful, actually the grand spectacle – continues with the Rope Hill Tower, then we find another small break in the wall for Suurtüki Street and then it’s on to the grand finale with Plate, Epping, and Tower behind Grusbeke towers. What a magnificent view!
By the way, 300 years ago in the middle ages, the green area, the so-called Nun’s Dome, belonged to St. Michael’s Mon- astery. Earth was piled up against the walls to build bastion fortifications against heavy cannons. This is where the great Finlandia bastion was established. Only three of the eleven bastions planned for around the city wall were eventually built, the closest other one being the Skone Bastion, or the current Coastal Gate Hill (Rannaväravamägi). Even so, there was quite a lot of earth that was piled up here, called the Palmquist redoubt. In the mid-19th century, the earthen mounds were levelled, and a green area was established, first as rental grazing land. After that, in the late 19th century, the exhibition square of the Agricultural Association was built here. The area was filled with wooden exhibition buildings, the largest of which, the Rotund, sur- vived until it was destroyed by fire in 1933. At that time, the former exhibition square was converted into a park.
After the war, from 1946 to 1961, the area was called Stalin- grad Square! Between 1950-1990 the image of the chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, could be admired on the backdrop of the medieval towers. In recent years, international flower festivals have been held here near the walls.